Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Getting to Know Chase Hallam - 8/12/09

DENVER – As we move closer to the start of the 2009-10 season, I thought it might be interesting to check in with one of the newest members of the Pioneers, so we headed down to the lockerroom to talk with Chase Hallam (Mesquite, Texas).
Chase has been lifting weights and playing pickup games in Denver with his older brother and sophomore guard Travis Hallam (Mesquite, Texas), as well as the rest of the Pioneers.  

What is it like playing with your brother?
It was fun in high school, and it’s going to be fun here. We played well together in high school. We went to the regional finals every year, and went to the state championship, and hopefully we can have the same kind of success here.

What made you pick DU?
I just liked all the guys here and the arena was nice. Out of all the places I looked at, I liked this the most.

Your brother didn’t have any influence on the decision?
Not really.

Where else were you looking?
Miami of Ohio, Colgate and a couple Ivy League schools.

Who influenced you to play ball?
My dad was a big sports guy and watched a lot of games on television. I guess I just picked it up naturally.

What is your first memory of playing basketball?
Losing to Travis, when I was 4 or 5. We had one of those hoops that you put on the roof of the house and we just shot. We just threw up the ball. We didn’t know what we were doing. We would just start playing.

Who is more competitive?
We both are competitive. Off the court Travis is more competitive about some things.

Like what?
Video games. He always wants to win with video games, and I don’t really care. I mean I want to win too, but he is way more competitive with them.

Explain to your high school mascot.
The Skeeters. It was a big, fierce looking mosquito. There was an actual costume that had a little body and little wings but a big long nose. We actually had a good mascot this year. He could dance and do back flips in the costume and stuff.
For the full history, visit the school's website.

What is your favorite part about basketball?
Just going up and down the court. Running. I like winning, and I’ve won a lot of games.

What are you looking forward to at DU?
Getting to the NCAA Tournament, basically. I think we can do it. I think we have a good team. And I think we can make it there.

How are your classes this summer?
One class has been pretty easy, and the other has been brutal. But they’re not too bad.

What classes are you taking?
Psychology and philosophy.

What are you planning to major in?
Business, but I might minor in psychology, so this is a good start.

What do you do for fun?
Hang out. I’m a big movie guy. I watch a lot of movies.

What’s your favorite movie?
Anchorman. I love Will Farrell. He is the funniest guy ever. He is a funny, funny guy.

Do you buy DVDs or do you just rent them?
I go to Hollywood Video a lot. It’s right next to the house. We go see movies a lot, too. If you name a movie, I’ve probably seen it. But I don’t do horror movies, though. That’s something I don’t do.  

Why not?
I’m scared. It’s one of my fears. I don’t do scary movies. I had a bad experience, when I was a little kid. I went to a friend’s house and we watched a horror movie. After that, I couldn’t sleep, and I didn’t want to go through that again.

What else do you do?
I like baseball. I’m a huge Rangers fan. I used to play baseball. I actually got recruited for it, too. But I didn’t really like going to baseball practices.

Who is your favorite basketball player of all time?
Michael Jordan, but everyone says him. If you ever watch him on ESPN Classic games, he doesn’t miss. Ever. He has the best, most well-rounded game I have ever seen. Every time he’s on ESPN Classic, I’ll watch the game.


No comments:

Post a Comment